Friday, August 28, 2009

And a little search engine progress

OK, I can see the google bot has paid a little visit to both shops. It has now indexed several of my product pages on CafePress. On Zazzle, it seems to have attached search terms to my product lines or something. So, instead of individual product pages, it has indexed "fishing + gift" type pages with my product lines being the result.

It's progress no matter what.

I've decided I need to pretty things up with my Zazzle products a bit. I think adding background colors to some designs would be a good idea. I've done it on a couple, and I think it really helps.

Also, I found that my balloons design shows some of the reflection highlights go over the border when a dark background is added. Huge bummer as I'll have to re-do the entire line. Live and learn - I'll be sure to check these things before publishing from now on. This is one area where Cafepress rules hard over Zazzle. On CP, I just fix the image, upload to my image basket and replace the old with the new on all products. On Zazzle, I upload the image, change out the image and end up with a whole new product that has no search history, etc. I then have to delete the old products that do have search history.

Luckily, this particular design doesn't have many views as it is a small fish in a huge ocean of similar designs. It would be bad if I had to replace all my kids fishing designs. Those pop up fairly prominently in the marketplace at this point. I get hits on those almost every day.

Every little thing I learn the hard way is making my shops better, but I'm wondering if this will all be worth the effort in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment